The rain didn’t stop the ghouls and goblins from rolling on Saturday night. About 53 area ATV enthusiasts joined in the annual Grand Valley Halloween Ride this past weekend.
The groups set up four spooky stations along the trail and there were haunted surprises along the way. Some came in costume, while others decorated their ATVs. Everyone brought a dish to share for dinner before heading out into the twilight. The runners were invited to bring a donation of candy. Treats were donated to Grand Valley VFD and Plesantville VFD for their Trick-or-Treat community events.
Events to come
– The fall turkey festival in Grand Valley is tomorrow. Doors open at 6 p.m. and raffles start at 6.30 p.m. Contact a Grand Valley VFD member to purchase tickets.
– The Miracle Mountain Ranch Harvest Party takes place tomorrow from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
– The Tidioute charter school will host the Fall Fest on October 23 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. There will be a pumpkin carving competition, food vendors, artisans and more.
– Sanford UM Church is hosting a fundraising dinner at Frosty Jacks on October 25th. You can get a pulled pork sandwich or two hot dogs with fresh cut fries, coleslaw, and dessert. They will serve lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and dinner from 4 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. The cost is a donation and pre-orders are accepted by calling Frosty Jacks at (814) 436-7012.
– The Grand Valley VFD Chicken and Biscuit Dinner will be held on November 13 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. On-site and take-out meals will be available.
– Pleasantville VFD is hosting a Holiday Bazaar on November 6 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The kitchen will be open for lunch.
– Grand Valley Craft Show at GVVFD is November 20 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
– Tidioute Area VFD is organizing a craft exhibition on December 4 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Interested sellers can contact Sheryl at (814) 688-3630.
– Grand Valley: October 30 from 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. Party at the fire station at 4 p.m.
– Pleasantville: Oct. 28 from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
– Youngsville: October 29 from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
– Tidioute: Oct. 31 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
– Spartansburg: October 31 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
– Titusville: October 31 6 pm-7:30pm
Groups / clubs
– Eldred Township meetings are held on the second Wednesday of each month. Contact Eldred Township at (814) 436-7654 for more information.
– The meetings of the Canton du Sud-Ouest take place on the first Monday of each month. Contact the Township of South West at (814) 589-7551 for more information.
– The Grand Valley Volunteer Fire Department is in need of paramedics and firefighters, as well as social members to help with working bees and fundraisers.
There are working bees on Tuesday evenings at 6 p.m.
Monthly meetings take place on the first Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m.
– The last Grand Valley Desperados reunion took place on October 4 at 6:30 p.m. at the sportsman’s club. If anyone would like to learn more about the Desperados 4-H Club, contact leaders Sam Greer or Connie Tenney at (814) 827-9462.
Anyone interested in joining the Sanford Saddles and Spurs 4-H Club should contact Executives Matt and Dianna Maille at (814) 436-7778.
Evergreen Charge churches include Grand Valley UM, Sanford UM, and Enterprise UM. The live stream of the service will be posted to the Grand Valley United Methodist Facebook page on Sunday at 9 a.m.
– Sunday worship at Grand Valley United Methodist Church takes place at 11 a.m.
– Sunday service at Sanford United Methodist Church takes place at 10 a.m.
– Enterprise United Methodist meets at 9 a.m. for worship.
– Bible study takes place Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. at Enterprise Church. Everyone is welcome to attend.
– YOUth Group is back at the Grand Valley Rectory. Meetings take place every Sunday at 6 p.m. Grades 6 to 12 are all welcome to join in and bring a friend.
– The Sanford Kids Club meets every first and third Thursday at 5:30 p.m. at Sanford Church. Anyone aged 3 to 5 is welcome. New this year will be a Bible study for parents upstairs during club sessions. Contact Amanda Ongley at (814) 873-7483 for more information.
– If you know someone in need during this time, contact G&S Helping Hands or Pastor Penny Helmbold at (814) 436-7409 or [email protected]
Cousin Britta has a great recipe for tortellini soup. I did not receive it from her until halfway through its manufacture. I went by what she had mentioned and it turned out to be quite tasty.
– 1/2 small onion, minced
– 2 grated carrots
– 1/2 stick of butter
– 3 tablespoons of flour
– 3 tablespoons of fresh herbs; basil, oregano, sage
– 4 cups of chicken broth
– 1 can of tomato soup
– 1 can of diced tomatoes
– 1 small can of tomato paste
– 1 pint half and half
– 16 ounces of tortellini
– 1 packet of grated Parmesan
In a medium saucepan, boil the tortellini in salted water until tender. Set them aside or you can cook them along with the soup base.
In a casserole dish, combine the butter, onion, carrots and herbs. Cook over medium heat until lightly brown. Sprinkle with flour and fold into the mixture. Stir in the tomato paste. Slowly pour in the chicken broth one cup at a time. Make sure to completely combine the broth with the mixture after adding each cup.
Then add the can of diced tomatoes, tomato soup and half and half. Bring the soup to a boil then add the tortellini.
Garnish each bowl with grated Parmesan, salt and pepper to taste.
Kolin Baker (October 15)
Benjamin Tenney (October 16)
Becky Edwards (October 16)
Brooks Foley (October 17)
Lori Mckean (October 18)
Stacy Jamieson (October 18)
Megan Wright (October 19)
Tristann Burrows (Oct 20)
Kathy Haehn (October 20)
Denny & Diane Watson (October 17)
Bob and Tiffany Anderson (October 20)
Everyone is welcome to contribute to all local events, club news, seasonal activities, reunions, births, weddings, reunions, family recipes and any other Grand Valley event. Please submit the information by noon on Thursday so that I can include it in the Friday column. Thank you.
Alissa Savitz can be reached at 814-964-7453 or [email protected]